Sunday 31 August 2008

What was I doing when....?

I feel fortunate and valued to have been nominated to provide my whereabouts at time of the following 5 historical days:

Princess Diana's death - 31 August 1997

I was in bed, when Liz woke me up to tell me the news. Shocked, I got up and watched the news unfold. I'm still in shock now!

Margaret Thatcher's resignation - 22 November 1990

Although I remember this happening, I've never really followed politics too closely, so cannot remember the events that led to the Iron Lady resigning.

Attack on the twin towers - 11 September 2001

I remember being at work, when somebody mentioned that plane had crashed into one of the twin towers. There were a couple of still pictures on the net, but I didn't get to know the full horror until I got home from work. Tragic!

England's World Cup semi final v Germany - 4 July 1990

(Quoted from Liz's blog as we share the memory) This was the Saturday that the Romford Youth were involved in the Territorial Congress doing Drama, under the tutilage of Stuart Grinstead. So, as we were still in The Youth then, we all piled round to Keith and Fiona's afterwards to watch it on their tele - wasn't it the one where Gazza cried and... we lost. I recall Liz being obsessed with seeing images of Lothar Matteus ( SP??)

President Kennedy's Assassination - 22 November 1963

I was only 1 and had no idea what a grassy knoll was, or book depository store for that matter!


I'm going to be boring and not nominate, as the only people I know have already been nominated. Sorry folks!

2 comments:

Liz said...

It was SO Fiona that was obsessed - NOT me!

Mr Hall said...

Yeah, yeah - I forgive you anyway:-)