Thursday 7 August 2008

Culture Change

At work, I volunteered to be part of a focus group whose remit was to look at the Culture of our department (approx 150 people). Recent surveys suggested there might be some Cultural problems and our ‘Head of’ wants to get to bottom of the problems. (thump table with fist when you say ‘problems’ - Try this now.)

Over the past months we have undertaken some surveys, workshops etc. to establish where the biggest gaps (between where we are and where we should be) are. We’re currently asking people what’s causing the gaps, and what could be done about it? The information coming in has some common themes, which seem to underlie a feeling of ‘resentment’ ‘injustice’ ‘fear’ etc.

Here’s the thing.

Culture isn’t something you can apply a new process to to fix/change. You can apply processes differently/fairly which might make people feel better, over a period of time, but there aren’t many quick wins with this. However, the ‘Boss’ is getting restless, and is putting pressure on the group (who are doing this in ‘spare time’) to come up with the solutions and plans to deploy. He wants to see results, (thump) now! I think he’s missed the point.

A definition of Organisational Culture is:

Organisational culture refers to the patterns of beliefs, values and learned ways of coping with experience that have developed during the course of an organisation’s history, and which tend to be manifested in its material arrangements and in the behaviours of its members”.

We have our work cut out!

What about culture in our church?

Ditto – I think.

Reading this back I’ve realised that for church, I have the same attitude as ‘the Boss’ – but at work I see the need to tread carefully. A lesson in life for me.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I did a course in organisational culture when I was at Uni. It was really interesting and I remember finding a lot of parallels with church too. I should dig that out!